Invitational Summer Institute
Held on the campus of UNLV since 1986, the SNWP Invitational Summer Institute (ISI) is a four-week professional development event for local kindergarten through college-level educators who seek to enhance their professional practices through inquiry, community, and the power of writing.
"The Southern Nevada Writing Project's Invitational Summer Institute is a vibrant and energizing professional development experience. It provides the opportunity for excellent teachers from all levels and areas of the curriculum to come together as a writing community."
ISI is led by a dynamic facilitation team consisting of university faculty and teacher consultants representing different schools, subject areas, and grade levels. This highly interactive, "hands-on" workshop encourages teachers to view themselves as writers and explore new modes of teaching and learning.
- Share and extend our best classroom practices and talk about aspects of our teaching we find challenging
- Write and respond to each other's writing
- Read, discuss, and inquire into the latest classroom-based professional books and research on writing.
ISI particpants frequently return to their schools:
- With a renewed appreciation and passion for writing that positively impacts their students and classrooms
- With innovative instructional strategies that support Common Core Standards
- Able to bring the power of technology to their classrooms, to more effectively prepare today's diverse group of students for the future
- As strong "teacher-leaders," more capable of affecting positive changes in their schools and leading professional develop for their colleagues
- With a dynamic local and national network (National Writing Project) of colleagues and resources that becomes a "professional home" for members.
Interested in joining us?
Dates for the 2013 Invitational Summer Institute are:
July 8 - August 2 (8:30-3:30 M-F).
Participant writing samples, references, and an interview are requirements for admission to ISI.
Participants who successfully complete ISI earn six graduate credits from UNLV.
Registration for the Summer 2013 session is now closed. Check back in January of 2014 for information on joining us next summer!
"The institute will completely change the way you approach the teaching of writing. It will open your eyes to the writing process as a student, which in turn changes how you approach and discuss the process with students."